Thursday, August 2, 2012

On My Bookshelf

I just finished read such a great book!  I read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein

source

Oh, this book was so good!  I instantly fell in love with the narrator, Enzo.  I have been very lucky to have had some wonderful dogs in my life and I could see aspects of them all through Enzo. 


I saw my childhood dog in Enzo's wisdom and his ability to tolerate his little girl to dress him up.  I saw our first dog as a married couple, Jake, from the beginning.  We had to put Jake to sleep last October and page 5 of the book really made me think of him.


"...I wanted him to see the obvious, that it's okay for him to let me go.  He's been going through so much, and he's finally through it.  He needs to not have me around to worry about anymore.  He needs me to free him to be brilliant."


"...I will miss him and little Zoe, and I know they will miss me.  But I can't let sentimentality cloud my grand plan.  After this happens, Denny will be free to live his life, and I will return to earth in a new form, as a man, and I will find him and shake his hand and comment on how talented his is, and then I will wink at him and say, "Enzo says hello," and turn and walk quickly away..."


Needless to say, I was bawling by page 5. 


I also saw our current dog, Maggie.  I saw her inquisitive nature and the part where Enzo sees the "evil spirit" in Zoe's stuffed zebra and must destroy it by ripping out the stuffing.  I also saw her when Enzo talked about watching the crows and his dislike for them.  This must be how she truly feels about the squirrels. 


A definite must read, if you haven't already!!


Up next, I took my inspiration from summer reading infographic I posted a while back.  I will be reading "Rebecca" by Daphne Du Maurier. 



source



No comments:

Post a Comment